Friday, April 08, 2011

Extinction of Pinoy bands?


Sorry no boy bands allowed on this post hehehe

I’m referring to the bands that actually write and play songs. Not the dancing with boyish smiles kinda type.

I consider Eraserheads to be the first Pinoy band that my ears listened to. My uncle was a fan of alternative and rock. He had this collection of cassette tapes from different artists like Bon Jovi, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, U2 and of course locally like the Eraserheads, Parokya ni Edgar and Rivermaya. I never like my father’s type of music, jazz and soul. They keep me sleepy. So my uncle was the big influence. The forefathers of Pinoy bands still exist today though but with some changes.

Some of the classic bands I love:

Eraserheads (1989-2002)

Rivermaya: the original members (1993-present)

Parokya ni Edgar (1993- present)

During the year of 2003, the Pinoy music scene bombarded towards the roof. It was the era of aspirations of alternative, punk, reggae, jazz or pop. It was also the era where forming group bands were alive again. Thanks to westerners, more and more Pinoys both young and old began to show such talents. I can still remember those days during Fridays in school when assigned class showed talents by singing their favorite song with a guitar, keyboards or both. Fun days full of jamming. Almost everybody was bringing their own acoustic guitar learning new songs from a guitar song book or some brought their mini portable keyboard. It was nice site for me actually and it gave me the opportunity to try new instruments. This went on until I graduated high school.

Even when I entered college, the Pinoy bands were still strong. Although it reached to a point where hundreds of new bands exist that it was kinda hard for them to remember since almost all of their music sounded alike especially the ones from Luzon. But yet only those who have uniqueness survived. Visayan and Mindanao bands where kinda cool for me. I mean personally I think they have better styles than those from Luzon. There were some though who sounded off and redundant but I guess people love them so I can’t do anything about it. Time of Diversity, even we had this so called BisRock (visayan rock songs) at that time which I am not a big fan though because some of the bands just copied the tunes from a foreign song and replaced it with visayan lyrics. I get irritated when a band makes versions of all of the famous songs yet I can’t do anything about it. There was a time for punk and emo genres too. Quite dramatic actually, it was the time where black was the color everywhere. Plus boys wearing eyeliner, black nail polish and ironed hair styles. I wasn't a fan on the emo fashion but I dig the black nail polish, makes my extremities look extremely white! College was also the time when I started listening to British rock and Indie bands. It was quite different than those on the mainstream and I was happy when a local band managed to have a similar style to indie.

Time ran fast and the booming of Pinoy bands slowly declined. It was to be expected for some time since usually that is the effect. Diversion of house and techno to rnb and hip-hop took over the music scenes both nationally and locally. It led to the death of some bands. Quite sad.

Some present bands that I really love:

Franco

Faspitch

Urbandub

Presently, local music is mainly on K-Pop. The bands that somehow survived today had their own gimmick. Some resumed college, others focused on work or raising a family while others entered the showbiz scene like hosting (Showtime’s Teddy and Jugs) and acting like vocalists from Callalily & Kjwan. At least they aren’t giving up on the music not like some other band I know. So yeah K-Pop ruled mostly on the badoy radio stations… that K-Pop fever is everywhere! Even Koreans are everywhere here in this country. Annoying part would be that they got to have some better treatment plus some Koreans have abused this. I did catch the haze but only Supper Junior hahahaha. Not all Filipinos can pull of Korean fashion.

So ironic, I mean when I was in high school, everybody was like holding guitars, now high school students are like singing to some songs which I can’t understand. I pity the local artists who are striving. If this goes on, there is a possibility that Pinoy bands will be extinct! I mean look they already closed the NU 107 rock FM nationally. The FM station exist for more like 2 decades already but gave up, proof that our support group for local scenes is that weak already.

Personally I want for more talents to flourish this side of the industry so support our local music!


1 comment :


  1. Yo Music lovers! Check out indie band Radar from Manila,Philippines.

    ReplyDelete