Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Embracing EDM

I have been a lover of music ever since elementary. Although my father preferred jazz,  I was hooked to different kinds of genre. I was a boy band fanatic (not so much), a punk wannabe yes even the screamo count, an otaku for anime song, house and rave person and an indie geek. The two later were developed during college. I usually like any song but as I grew up, the taste became picky. So listening to these different songs for years had developed to have some quite a challenge. A challenge to know who the artist when I hear a unique tune. To a sense that I just googled every lyrics to the said song or if there ain’t any, I usually record it. Thanks to some apps I can know the artist swiftly.

That’s how serious I am when it comes to music.

Enough about that, I just want to share some of my favorite EDM (electronic dance music) tracks. I can still remember the first time I heard them during college class. A classmate showed it to me and the rest was history. The song was from Daft Punk ‘s Technologic (not the actual video I saw before but this was close), it has an addictive lyrical input. Even the video was creepy. What kept me psyche was when these guys had a concert, all people where like bobbing their heads to the beat or jumping. It was having this feeling that I wanna be there in the crowd itself, badly.

Ironically house and rave were another genres which years before weren’t that into main stream. Unlike now, it’s everywhere. You can hear it now playing in radios and music channels. It also erupted to different categories like electro, progressive, deep and indie dance house tracks.

Below are my all time favorites! They are usually present on my playlist even it gets old:

Miike Snow - Pretender (Deniz Koyu Remix)


The original was kinda jazzy. Thanks to Deniz Koyu he magically made it addictive. I like playing the verse on my head and reciting the part ‘I didn’t wanna wake up but then I felt your touch’. First heard it from a friend who was generous enough to give me some songs. I owe him this song.

Porter Robinson – Language


This song is amazing! At first I was kinda hesistant but when keep on repeat it has some promise. Try imagining some tranquil japanese pond during the first part of the song and when it gets to the lower notes its like hitting a danger alarm button. He did balance the track nicely with some melow piano parts. Porter is one great talented dude. If you can check some of his live gigs you will jump for it, guaranteed!

Zedd – Codec


I adore Zedd! First heard him from beatport of his song Spectrum. It was too pop for me but then I tried checking his other works. From there I discovered some pretty good tracks. He did remixed some Skrillex songs and his Zelda tune was a good one too. Yet Codec is one I find it playing on repeat. It sounded like when the piano notes are on off key but the rest are in tune. I imagine tiny fireflies flickering wildly during that part. Plus the drop bass on the end is addictive which leads then to the first part of another track called Stache. Truly worth listening.

Mango and Andre Fraunstein ft Ludik – Disappear


This song has some good memories. Perfect chillax song after a hard day of partying. The lyrics say it all about driving on an open road where its almost sunrise, sitting next to you the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. Utterly perfect and yes I had this moment years ago.

Calvin Harris – Flashback


This guy has been around for quite a while and he sings! First heard him on the youtube suggestions and this song was playing. I never knew djs can sing but well he does. I also like the video on this one where the camera is an eye view of a person walking and partying. He did mention that he preferred to be a dj rather than a singer. I dunno his voice is perfect to some of his tracks.

Sebastian Ingrosso and Alesso – Calling


This piece here reminds me of the days where non stop partying every weekend began; wasn't a party freak like years before. I still do like the version without Ryan singing. This song lead me to some new heights and I mean it! Higher feeling of high where you just jump to the beat at the chorus. The great part was I wasn’t alone during those times, I had friends who just like to jump off the problems away.

2 comments :

  1. These are great music collection, Chez. I also like the song from Calvin Harris's Flashback.

    -http://advancedcnctechnologies.com/

    ReplyDelete